Gain Plenary Indulgences for the Holy Souls in Purgatory! October 31, 2013Posted by tantamergo in awesomeness, Basics, Dallas Diocese, General Catholic, Glory, Grace, Holy suffering, Interior Life, sanctity, Tradition, Victory, Virtue.
This is a most important work. In a certain sense, perhaps the most important work, save for praying for our own salvation and that of all we know. The Holy Souls in Purgatory are suffering horrifically. They have all the torments of hell, save for the great knowledge that they know they are saved. We must help them! And if we help them, they will help us!
Here is how you can earn plenary indulgences for the Holy Souls:
Taken from the Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter
Indulgences for the Poor Souls
I On All Souls’ Day (Nov. 2) a plenary indulgence, applicable only to the Poor Souls, is granted to those who visit any parish church or public oratory and there recite one Our Father and one Credo.
II On all the days from November I though November 8 inclusive, a plenary indulgence, applicable only to the Poor Souls, is granted to those who visit a cemetery and pray even if only mentally for the departed.
Conditions for both indulgences:
1. Only one plenary indulgence can be granted per day.
2. It is necessary to be in the state of grace, at least by completion of the work.
3. Freedom from attachment to sin, even venial sin, is necessary; otherwise the indulgence is only partial. (By this is meant attachment to a particular sin, not sin in general.)
4. Holy Communion must be received each time the indulgence is sought. [This is one a lot of people forget. You have to go to Holy Communion to obtain the indulgence for each day.]
5. Prayers must he recited for the intentions of the Holy Father on each day the indulgence is sought. (No particular prayers are prescribed. One Our Father and one Hail Mary suffice, or other suitable prayers.
6. A sacramental confession must he made within a week of completion of the prescribed work. (One confession made during the week, made with the intention of gaining all the indulgences, suffices.)
Help the Holy Souls! They will pray for you!
Thanks to FA for noting my goof on the original title.