Catholic Culture: Cord of St. Joseph November 9, 2015Posted by Tantumblogo in awesomeness, Basics, catachesis, General Catholic, Glory, Good St. Joseph, Grace, Interior Life, sanctity, sexual depravity, Spiritual Warfare, Tradition, Virtue.
The Cord of St. Joseph is a Catholic devotion that dates back nearly 400 years. It originated in Antwerp, Belgium in 1637 when an Augustinian nun – a Sister Elizabeth – during a very difficult illness, had a cord made that was specially blessed in St. Joseph’s honor and was subsequently and miraculously healed. Eventually devotion to the cord spread, and numberous special graces were obtained through its devout use. The Cord is used not merely as a remedy against bodily ailments, but most especially as an aid to preserve the virtue of purity. The devotion was approved by the Sacred Congregation of Rites in 1859 and it was also blessed and approved by Pope Pius IX.
Graces obtained by the wearing of the cord include:
1. St. Joseph’s special protection;
2. Purity of soul;
3. The grace of chastity;
4. Final perseverance;
5. Particular assistance at the hour of death.
NATURE OF THE CORD AND THE MANNER OF WEARING IT
The Cord of St. Joseph should be of thread or cotton, ending at one extremity in seven knots, indicative of the Seven Joys and Sorrows of St. Joseph. It is worn as a girdle for purity or chastity and humility and around the shoulders for obedience. It ought to be blessed by a priest with the faculties for this blessing.
WHEN YOU RECEIVE YOUR CORD, IT WILL BE A LONG CORD WITH A KNOT AT EACH END.
AT ONE END YOU WILL NEED TO MAKE 6 KNOTS TO ADD TO THE ONE ALREADY THERE. THIS IS THE PART OF THE CORD THAT HANGS FREE AFTER TYING ABOUT THE WAIST OR SHOULDER.
CONDITIONS FOR GAINING THE INDULGENCES
1. Be truly contrite, confess and communicate the day of investiture or wearing it for the first time.
2. If possible visit the church of the Association or an other oratory, if not, and to pray for peace between Christian princes or rulers, the extirpation of heresies, and the exaltation of Holy Mother Church.
3. Must be affiliated with the Church of San Rocco at Rome. We do not know how binding this is for Americans or how to contact them. We have provided a link to the Company that distributes the Cord in the U.S. Someone one there may know how to contact that church.
All the indulgences are applicable to the Holy Souls.
The Cord can be order for 3.50 from Mother of the Savior Company, HERE.
I’m wearing one right now. I can substantiate the Cord’s effectiveness at promoting purity. It has helped me a great deal. So many souls struggle with purity in these times. Priests attest to the fact that sins against purity are the most frequent they encounter in the confessional. Many are addicted to pornography, self-abuse, and even worse. The Cord of St. Joseph can be a huge help in attaining and retaining purity for souls disposed to amend their lives. I highly recommend it.