Donate to help conscious patient threatened with murder by Houston area hospital December 9, 2015Posted by Tantumblogo in abdication of duty, Abortion, contraception, disaster, episcopate, error, General Catholic, horror, It's all about the $$$, martyrdom, paganism, scandals, secularism, sickness, Society, unadulterated evil.
Via reader Camper, Bishop Rene Gracida shares the depressing tale of Chris Dunn, a critically injured man (but who is apparently conscious, at least at times) who has been deemed “terminally ill” by Houston Methodist hospital and his doctor, who are seeking to either withdraw all medical support or actively administer drugs which would have the effect of killing him. His post copies a long post from Kassi Marks, who, along with Texas Right to Life, have been fighting to keep Mr. Dunn alive.
The post is fairly long and involved, I recommend you read it there, but I’ll highlight a few aspects:
- The threat on Mr. Dunn’s life points back to the grossly problematic Texas Advance Directive Act (TADA) and the near total power it gives physicians to make determinations as to whether to provide or deny care, often on bases of continued availability of funding for care and/or a perceived need to open up hospital space to “more deserving” patients.
- Reforming TADA has been a significant priority for Texas Right to Life, but most other self-described pro-life groups in this state oppose their efforts.
- Texas Catholic Conference has also been very weak on this issue, using its resources (which come from OUR parish donations) to oppose TRL and other “pro-life extremists” (imagine Catholic bishops saying that!) and more or less stand with the status quo, or to implement “reforms” which are as problematic or worse than the status quo. This was a significant issue in the 2014 legislative elections, and I was glad to have played a very small role in helping oust one fake pro-life conservative for another, much more robust pro-life state senator in Bob Hall.
- Mr. Dunn has been hospitalized for some years. He is not on life support. The hospital wants to deny even food and water. This is always and everywhere gravely evil, tantamount to murder.
- You can help by commenting on the Houston Methodist hospital page here. You can also (tastefully, rationally) e-mail the hospital president: Dr. Marc L. Boom, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Other than that, follow TRL’s recommendations for pro-life candidates, who are truly pro-life across the spectrum of issues, and also by praying for a change in heart in the Texas Medical Association, most Texas pro-life groups, the Texas Catholic Conference, and the Texas legislature, which must, at some point, take up the increasingly antiquated and immoral TADA.